Welcome

Welcome to West Gallery's blog

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Don't fiddle!

Finally found some time to get the oil paints out and start painting, hence the blog being late, well something's got to give, there's only 24 hours in a day! A bit rusty but eventually got into the flow... then the phone rang! I'm one of those sorts of artists that needs complete solitude, no noise and no damn interruptions. So I tend to work late into the night, sometimes until the sun comes up. It's wonderful, perfect silence, intense concentration, completely focused, just me, my two black labradors asleep at my feet and the comforting waft of turpentine.


I like to paint people, country folk in their natural habitat. Drawing on memories and experiences from growing up on the farm and the alluring characters that I come across in rural Devon. I try to capture moments that are natural, not posed or contrived, sort of fly on the wall stuff (without any walls!). Hopefully the end result is a picture of rural life, often a private moment, shared with the viewer, as if you were there.


First stage, drafting the figures in burnt umber


I start the painting by working out the composition and the drafting out the figures in raw umber, building up the shadow areas. It's always easier to paint pictures with sunshine as it gives you a positive light source direction, you can't go wrong. For this particular painting it was a dull day with a more even light so a little bit trickier to show depth and drama but it suited the subject. I wash in a background colour and gradually the picture builds up layer by layer.


Now, here's the important bit, and after thirty years plus I still struggle with it. Don't overwork it, be bold and confident with you brush stroke but don't fiddle. I said don't fiddle! This only comes with regular practice which in turn gives you the confidence. The key is knowing when to stop. I should practice what I preach!


To find out how the finished painting turns out (assuming that I'm not still fiddling about with it) come along to our Summer Exhibition at West Gallery from 16th July to 27th August 2012.


Anyway, I detect a glow in the sky and a lone blackbird is clearing his throat, I had better turn in, I will have to open the gallery in a few hours. Now does that jacket need a little more highlight? I'll just...

No comments:

Post a Comment