Welcome

Welcome to West Gallery's blog

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Get Lost!

I don't have a satnav. I have a good sense of direction and I can read a map. It seems not everybody is quite so fortunate.


Some visitors had difficulty finding us and our neighbours at the world famous Gnome Reserve. Some had experienced most of the North Devon countryside before finally arriving. After enquiring about their journey I discovered they had followed their satnav which had taken them on the most convoluted route possible. 


We are only 15-20 minutes from Bideford, Holsworthy and Torrington but some people choose the scenic route and can spend hours taking in the splendour of this unspoilt part of Devon, and why not, I say?


The Gnome Reserve has been at this beautiful rural location for over 30 years inspired by founder Ann Fawssett-AtkinAnn, an established artist, studied at Brighton College of Art and The Royal Academy of Arts, London. Her paintings are kaleidoscopic fantasies based on a lifelong love and observation of nature especially birds, wild flowers and butterflies which she has continuously painted since early childhood. You are drawn into a mesmerising, intricate world of Ann's mind, a place that is conversely frenetic but relaxing, a place to lose yourself. 


Ann's pictures are available at West Gallery.


Joy in a Tidal Rockpool by An Fawssett-Atkin. Framed original acrylic £480




The message is simple. You're in Devon, take your time, look around you, take in the sights and sounds as you meander along the country lanes and you may just stumble upon a beautiful gallery in the heart of the countryside.


I was reminded that in this part of the world you have to learn to chill. A tourist stopped and asked me, "Where does this road take me?" whereupon I enquired, "Where do you want to go?", "Anywhere," came the reply, "Well, that's where this road takes you!" I said. 


That's the beauty of Devon, you may not know exactly where you are, so just relax and enjoy the journey. You'll get there 'dreckly'.


So, my advice to you is...get lost!



No comments:

Post a Comment